Control the DigiTech Whammy 4 with the new Molten Voltage Molten MIDI 2 ($109 MSRP), a programmable MIDI stompbox.
In addition to offering five ways to control the Whammy 4, the Molten MIDI 2 doubles as a synchronized or standalone MIDI Clock source for all your MIDI devices. The unit stores 15 programs at a time, which are created manually or with a computer-based Programming Utility (Windows) that lets you trade files and share favorite loops and settings on the company's Web site.
Programs can be up to 16 steps each. They come in five different "flavors": Loop Portamento programs; Loop, No Portamento programs; Step Portamento programs; Step, No Portamento programs; and Different Settings programs.
* Loop Portamento programs cycle through sequences of virtual expression pedal positions. According to Molten Voltage, "Portamento" means that you hear the Whammy slide from one step to the next, rather than jump, as if the expression pedal is moving.
* Loop, No Portamento programs are just like the Portamento version, except the Whammy doesn't slide from one position to another -- it jumps.
* Step Portamento programs step through sequences of virtual expression pedal positions each time the Step button is pressed. As the Whammy changes to a new virtual position, you hear it slide up or down to the new position.
* Step, No Portamento programs are just like the Portamento version, except the Whammy jumps rather than slides from one position to another each time Step is pressed.
* Different Settings programs step through selected Whammy settings each time the Step button is pressed. The virtual position of the expression pedal is not affected.
The Molten MIDI 2's programs are selected using the footswitches and are indicated with the Whammy's own LEDs. When configured in Whammy and Clock mode, the Molten MIDI 2 sends synchronized MIDI Clock data whenever a Loop is playing. You can use the MIDI Clock output to control sequencers, drum machines, and other MIDI-based effects. What's more, Molten MIDI 2 sends parallel Program Change and Song Select data to keep all your MIDI devices on the same page. If you don't own a Whammy, you can use the Molten MIDI 2 as a tap tempo MIDI Clock generator.
For more information, please visit moltenvoltage.com.