23 posts / 0 new
Last post
r2m0w's picture
pittsburgh
Jan 2009
5 years ago

could anyone teach a lesson on how to play fast runs up and down the strings faster or if there are any tips , im still having trouble trying to learn some of my favorite solos in those fast passages i dont know if its the fingering im not doing right or my pick attack or whatever, but any advice tips or a lesson would help

SIXSTRING63's picture
upstate New York
May 2008
Today
Originally Posted by r2m0w

could anyone teach a lesson on how to play fast runs up and down the strings faster or if there are any tips , im still having trouble trying to learn some of my favorite solos in those fast passages i dont know if its the fingering im not doing right or my pick attack or whatever, but any advice tips or a lesson would help

What solos or tunes are you trying to learn ?

Anything worth doing is worth over doing.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/SIXSTRING63

r2m0w's picture
pittsburgh
Jan 2009
5 years ago

well mainly i like to play hendrix , clapton or any blues, some solos such as cocaine have some parts he plays pretty quick and my fingers stumble over the strings unless i do it half speed, and for hendrix pretty much the whole song of voodoo child slight return

DoctorRocker's picture
Dayton, Ohio
Dec 2007
1 month ago

Hi... The players that U listed spend a lot of time in the "pentatonic minor" patterns. One of the most common "speed things" in pentatonic minor is to play descending triplets. I did a vid on how to play those recently:

http://vanderbilly.com/Guitar-Lesson-Pentatonic+Triplets++-+Picking+Explanation+by+request,7994,1,Rock_guitar.html

SIXSTRING63 has also done some stuff that is similar, but more advanced. Check out his vid on quadruplets.

http://vanderbilly.com/Guitar-Lesson-sixstring63+-+alt.+picking+quad+riffs,7997,1.html

Start with the pentatonic triplets and work your speed up and then expand your licks with stuff like SS63 did. Watch his picking technique as well because it's immaculate.

pzout, doc

"Old Guys Rule"... Tugwell

r2m0w's picture
pittsburgh
Jan 2009
5 years ago

thanks doc for your help, hey i was wondering if you know anything more on hendrix's technique or idk just by looking at him play at woodstock he does it all carefree so relaxed and so easily

DoctorRocker's picture
Dayton, Ohio
Dec 2007
1 month ago

Watch jimicolors vids... the man puts the soul in it like nobody's business;)

"Old Guys Rule"... Tugwell

SIXSTRING63's picture
upstate New York
May 2008
Today
Originally Posted by r2m0w

thanks doc for your help, hey i was wondering if you know anything more on hendrix's technique or idk just by looking at him play at woodstock he does it all carefree so relaxed and so easily

That is the keystone LOL ( Doc ) Relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxx and it will come naturally.:D

Anything worth doing is worth over doing.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/SIXSTRING63

davido's picture
La Grange, Texas
Oct 2007
Today

Both Doc and Sixstring are dead on..Jimicolors may play with more emotion than anyone, the man is a monster!
RELAX like Sixstring said, I make guitar a lot harder than it is, cuz i over think it..It a bad habit, I'm trying to break.
When I'm successful, I can actually play pretty well.
I'm lucky, I have a lot to learn and I do learn something about the guitar most days..
There is so much TALENT here, you have to pick your spots or you'll drown in music, BTW its not a bad thing...Take your time find you a few tune and study them hard. You'll find it gets easier the MORE YOU PRACTICE...
Just in case, WELCOME to VANDERBILLY!

life is short

dc007's picture
North Carolina
Mar 2008
6 months ago

Jimi had access to better drugs than we do:confused:

Seriously, if you can play the licks you want to learn at half speed, keep playing them that way. One day you will discover you have the muscle memory built in to play them fast.

The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa

r2m0w's picture
pittsburgh
Jan 2009
5 years ago

yea I hear what you guys are saying and i agree like if its licks and things Im making myself I can play it fairly fast, its just i think getting the whole feel to cover a song of another artist , Idk ive only been playing for a year and honestly can play pretty much anything i hear without tabs or anything , just the solos, i have no idea about any music theory or even how chord progressions work

DoctorRocker's picture
Dayton, Ohio
Dec 2007
1 month ago
Originally Posted by r2m0w

yea I hear what you guys are saying and i agree like if its licks and things Im making myself I can play it fairly fast, its just i think getting the whole feel to cover a song of another artist , Idk ive only been playing for a year and honestly can play pretty much anything i hear without tabs or anything , just the solos, i have no idea about any music theory or even how chord progressions work

Hang in there... we're gonna have somethin' cool goin' here soon for that stuff... dd

"Old Guys Rule"... Tugwell